Sunday, April 19, 2015

"Coffee Work Ethic" - Friday April 17th - Jukebox Comedy Club

Underrated coffee they have at the Jukebox.
With: Justin Tuttle (@tuttlecomedy)





On Friday April 28th myself, U of I's Juan Villeta and 106.5 X-Country Kankakee's Maggi Mayfield headed over the the Jukebox Comedy Club in Peoria, IL. I was slated for a guest set before headliner Chris Schlichting.

But the real goal was to try to get some newer performers from C-U a spot at a comedy club. Which, success, due to a lot of local Peoria performers being out of town, owner Dan Conlin was nice enough to give two people he didn't know a guest spot, which as long time performers who go to comedy clubs know, that's pretty rare.





Maggi Mayfield on stage (@maggiontheradio)
I've seen Maggi and Juan go up at several different places, and even though the crowd was a bit smaller for a Saturday Night, it was fun to see them excited to go on stage at a legit club for their first times. I think I felt that way on my first guest set... I don't remember... not because it was so long ago, but because most happy memories have been washed away by all the other times I've tanked (and being tanked) - so it was a short reminiscing session on my part.



With Juan Villeta (@JuanVillGar)
I had a pretty well received 12 minute set. Busting on house emcee Joe Roderick (@TheJoeRoderick) for his intro (which was after a missed joke, then a very abrupt "Ok, well... here's Jesse Tuttle") gained me some favor with the crowd, but alas, Joe returned post set shirtless wearing just his vest to "out-sexy" me as he put it - was white flag time... I had been defeated by the better man. It was my mistake for poking the ribs of a hosting professional like Mr. Joe.


 
Andrew Hicks on stage
For the 10:30 show, I graciously (patting the ol' back pretty hard to be honest) stepped back and watched Justin Tuttle and Andrew Hicks take over the guest sets. They were coming back from the Quad Cities after a show and made it just in time. It was also Hicks' first set there. I felt proud of the C-U area not only representing our little area well, but for two other reasons: word of mouth is good if a club owner in a completely different area will trust to put them on stage on a weekend show when he doesn't know them personally, and also, as pictured at the very top... free coffee. How am I proud of free coffee? Because I went behind the bar and poured it. This guy doesn't slack on that kind of work ethic.


No comments:

Post a Comment